Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Angelina's Bachelors, Brian O'Reilly

I
love books.  I love food.  I really love books *about* food.  So, when I first saw a blurb about Angelina’s Bachelors somewhere in the dregs of goodreads.com, I knew I would have to pick it up at some point.  It apparently came out in 2011, but didn’t make its way into my hands until now.
The book tells the story of Angelina D’Angelo, a young widow facing life on her own with a mountain of grief and bills to pay.  A born foodie, she finds a form of therapy in the intricate, yet homey, dishes she creates.  Before long, she finds herself accepting an informal job offer from a bachelor neighbor - to become something of a personal chef.  The deal is sealed and includes two daily meals, six days a week, prepared and served in Angelina’s living room.  Before long, several other bachelors jump into the fray, and a new family is born.  The cast of characters runs the gamut from a mobster to an aspiring priest, and certainly makes for some entertaining moments. 
There were various recipes interspersed throughout the book, to match Angelina’s creations.  I thought this was a nice touch, although admittedly, most were a bit far-reaching for the casual home cook.  At some points, I think the gastronomic detail was a bit much, as well.  I don’t need to read all about how Angelina is creating a new masterpiece, only to re-read virtually the same thing in the recipe section.  Too much of anything is not a good thing. 
Overall, however, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I found it to be an endearing, sweet look at how people – virtual strangers – can come together to form unbreakable bonds.  Sure, there were moments of predictability - some so saccharine they’d give you a toothache.  Ultimately, though, what this book has is heart.  It’s a feel-good story, and who couldn’t use one of those from time to time?
3.5 Stars      

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs