Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, by Aimee Bender

I’m sure you’re all wondering why on Earth I’m choosing to read and review this book now, when it came out approximately 3 billion years ago.  I know, I admit it – I’m late to the party.  (You’ll come to see this as a normal trait for me).  But, my tardiness with this particular book has an explanation.  The reviews I’ve read have been AWFUL.  Now, why would I want to waste any of my precious reading minutes on stuff that has been deemed crap by so many others??  Hence, the delay.  Just last week, however, Paperback Swap came through with an available copy, so I gave it a shot.  How bad could it be?
At the opening of the book, we meet young Rose Edelstein, who lives with her parents and older brother, Joseph.  All appears to be (somewhat) normal in the Edelstein household until Rose is celebrating her birthday with a scrummy Lemon Cake lovingly made by her mom.  Upon taking her first bite, Rose realizes that she has the uncanny ability to identify the personal feelings, mental state, and/or emotions, of her baker mom.  As the book unfolds, it becomes clear that this new ability holds true for just about everything Rose eats, anytime, anywhere.  Talk about cumbersome.  At one point, she’s even joined by her brother’s intellectual friend, George, to try out her new ‘powers’ at a local bake shop.   
Meanwhile, we also get a deeper look into the unusual, secluded world of her brother, Joseph.  When I first started to read about his various quirks and privacy issues, I didn’t think all that much of it.  I have an older brother.  When we were growing up, he didn’t want to have anything to do with me, either.  As the book progressed, though, the depth and extent of his ‘issues’ became more apparent.  He would disappear for various lengths of time, with no explanation, causing the family countless hours of worry.
By the time I reached the three-quarter mark of this book, I found myself questioning all those crappy reviews.  What I was reading wasn’t so bad.  In fact, it was actually a pretty interesting concept.  Rose was able to solve various family mysteries and problems just by eating the various foods that were prepped around her.  The relationship she had with her parents, as well as with her sibling, were things that, I think, anyone can relate to on some level.  And, then the shoe dropped…
I don’t want to give away that ‘shoe,’ but you have been warned.  It’s there, and it’s ready to stomp all over you.  I closed the cover, just shaking my head to and fro.  It was a major ‘WTH’ moment.  I really, truly hate spoilers, but a fair warning is justified.  I’m still giving this sucker a decent rating, because I was entertained throughout.  I just think the author was smoking a little somethin’ somethin’ when she wrote the last few pages. 
3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs