Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Miscellaneous Musings


I read a lot of books.  Sometimes, I'll get through 4 or 5 in a week.  Now that I've started this blog, however, I've come to the conclusion that I can't review everything I consume.  Admittedly, it's difficult to pick and choose which books will make the cut.  It's *particularly* difficult when you feel like you've been the victim of a brain-sucking zombie, a la The Walking Dead, and forget the plots of most books before even closing their covers.  But, I'll take what I can get.  In the interest of full disclosure, however, I'll share the books I've finished recently, and an overall rating.  Please keep in mind that these are the ratings I assigned on goodreads.com, which for some godforsaken reason does NOT allow you to rate in halvsies.  (Why not?  Seriously?  Did someone miss decimal/fraction day in math class?)  At this point, due to reasons mentioned above (which I can't recall now, so please go back and re-read, if necessary), I'm not able to add/subtract that all important .5 now.  If you'd like more details on any of them, check out some of the reviews on that evil Goodreads.com.  Aside from their screwed up ratings system, it's a pretty cool site.  Now, on with the show... 
 

The Heist By Janet Evanovich & Lee Goldberg (*not* the weather guy from WABC, New York.  I checked) - 3 Stars

The Truth About Love & Lightning by Susan McBride - 4 Stars

Second Honeymoon by James Patterson - 3 Stars (Why even rate Patterson novels anymore?  They're all the same, yet I keep going back.)

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick – 4 Stars (And no, I didn’t see the movie, so I can’t compare.  Sorry!)

Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich - 2 Stars  (Holy crap, was this bad!!  I was REALLY hoping Miss Stephanie would share some of the funny gene so perfectly honed by her Aunt Janet, but this was just awful.  I contemplated doing a full review of this one, but didn't want to relive the horror.  If you insist on checking it out, however, stick to perusing the back cover.  Once you get through that, there's no need to read the other 200-something pages, because you'll have the whole story mapped out already.  There's not a single line of originality to be found anywhere in this sucker.  WHY did I give this crap 2 stars?  I think I'm going to adjust it to 1.  It's worthy of the change.)

The Pretty One by Lucinda Rosenfeld - 2 Stars  (Another crappy book.  I should've known the type of trash I was in for when - on page SIX - one of the main characters screamed at her toddler daughter “You’re driving me f***ing insane!!” before ‘pushing’ her.  Alllllrighty, then.  And, no, this woman did *not* have any sort of emotional issues.  That’s just how f’ed up the characters in this book are.)

The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro - 4 Stars (Umm...good book?  Sorry - drawing a blank here.  Surprise, surprise!)

So, that’s the synopsis for the past couple of weeks.  If you’ve come across any incredible books recently that you think I should check into, BY ALL MEANS, leave a comment, or shoot me an email.  I don’t bite. 
Initially.
Oh, and one more thing.  I realize this entry was a little bland - no purdy pictures or anything.  So, I'll leave you with a different kind of eye candy.  You can thank me later.  Nom, nom, nom
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs