Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Justice for Sara, by Erica Spindler


There's something to be said for a simple, somewhat brainless mystery. I'm not sure exactly what that something is, but it sounded like a good way to start this review, no?
 

At the beginning of 'Justice for Sara,' we meet Katherine (Kat) McCall, referred to as the Lizzie Borden of small town Liberty, Louisiana.  (Now doesn't that just make you feel all warm & fuzzy?)  Ten years prior, Kat's sister, Sara, was brutally murdered in the little cottage they shared after the untimely death of their parents.  The teenaged Katherine was subsequently tried, and acquitted, of the murder but it's apparent that she was still guilty in the eyes of town residents. 

After making a new life for herself in Portland, Sara returns to her hometown in a final effort to find her sister's true killer, once and for all clearing her name.  When the cottage is vandalized, we're introduced to the town's acting sheriff, Luke Tanner (cue cheesy soap opera music), who just happens to be a big ol' drop of eye candy.  What a surprise!!!

Anyway, we meet the usual cast of characters for this type of book: ex-boyfriends, family members, nosy neighbors, former friends turned enemies, you get the drift.  There wasn't a whole lot of originality here. But, there was a decent amount of intrigue, and that whole 'just-one-more-chapter-and-then-I'll-go-to-bed' mentality. 

To that point, I read the book in just two days.  And not just any two days.  No sir.  These were two weekdays.  When I worked.  And cooked.  And cleaned.  And did laundry.  (Okay, I didn't really do any of those things.  I read the bulk of it on a Sunday afternoon, while my husband was engrossed in reruns of Law & Order.  Did you know the Criminal Intent episodes are the best?  So says Jim).  Anyway, I just thought it would sound more dramatic with a little embellishment.  Instead, I caved and told you the truth.  I enjoyed Ms. Spindler's novel while chillaxing in my Hello Kitty pj pants, k?  Get over it.  The book was good.  So...
 
In true whodunnit form, at some point or another, the finger of suspicion is pointed at just about everyone in the book, except for toddlers who haven't yet surpassed the Weeble stage.  (If you don't get the Weeble reference, then my old ass hates you...go google).  And, yes, I did figure out who *did* do it about halfway through the book.  You likely will, too.  But, it was still entertaining, without too much of the mush factor between Kat & Luke interfering (I hate when a mystery writer tries to write a sex scene.  seriously?  Yeah - don't do that.)

So, overall, this one was definitely worth the time.  An entertaining, fast-paced page turner that will likely get me to read more books by Erica Spindler in the future. 
 

3.5 Stars

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs